The WaterFront Center: Mission, Vision, Values & Strategic Impact Statement
The Center for Marine Education and Recreation at Oyster Bay, known as the WaterFront Center, is a not-for-profit 501©(3) organization.
The mission of the WFC is to educate people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds so they can become active stewards of the marine environment, and to promote community sailing and other environmentally friendly ways to enjoy the waters of Oyster Bay.
The vision of the WaterFront Center is for everyone to understand and appreciate the marine environment so that they enjoy and preserve it for all time.
- We believe that everyone should have access to the waters of Oyster Bay.
- We believe in protecting and preserving the estuary environment.
- We believe that learning is shaped and made permanent through enthusiasm, active engagement, discovery and enjoyment.
- We believe that stewardship stems from knowledge, appreciation and personal connection.
- We believe in encouraging environmentally sound recreation on the Bay that uses renewable energy such as sailing and kayaking.
- We believe that shared pleasurable experiences create lasting multigenerational bonds and build community.
- We believe it is necessary to have an expert teaching staff and a wide range of quality programs.
- We believe safety is essential in everything we do.
- We believe in fun.
In 10 years, people from all walks of life will have access to a clean and healthy Bay, and many families and friends will be sailing together in boats rented from or built at the WaterFront Center. Maximizing use of the unique public facilities on the Western Waterfront developed under the leadership of Senator Carl Marcellino by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and the Town of Oyster Bay, the Center will be providing skills and equipment for anyone to get out on the water for learning and enjoyment. The Center will have reached and engaged students from Pre-K through High School, college and late adulthood in marine environmental science and building, maintaining and handling boats. Their stewardship will ensure the Bay’s continued health.